Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why do people start smoking?

This isnt "Why wont people quit" but why start in the first place?
Answer:
because it's cool
I can't remember why I started. Regret it though.
Peer pressure. They want to look cool. Or the rest of their family or some sort of role model does it.
peer pressure i was young and stupid and i wish i had never started
they think it's mature
A lot of people I know just wanted to try it, and got hooked. Others actually thought it looked cool. Others still started because all their friends really *were* doing it.
Most people that smoke started whilst they were young, probably to be in with their mates and look cool.
Now they are addicted and find it hard to quit.
People these days don't see the dangers of smoking or drinking for that matter.
people who start are sheep, all following on. plus they think its hard
Because of curiosity.. And they will be adicted to it.. Or it's because other thinks it will add points to thier looks? Or maybe when they're cold, they smoke to warm themselves
Because when you are young and impressionable, you want to appear to be mature and smoking is one of those things that 'older' people are supposed to do... so this makes some kids THINK it's a cool, and rebellious thing to do in front of friends....

Until they are breathing with the aid of a machine.
These days, I don't know. When I started it was cool. All the celebrities smoked.
good question no not really.They start usually to see what its like. Thats not what bothers me though. Its that the live above influence give more than enough details y not to smoke. But people still smoke. So why do they go to the extreme to make people stop smoking when they alrdy know what it does, its called free will and they just cant accept that.
one thing it takes more than one cigerate to get u addictive. If its really that hard for u to quit it just shows u have a weak will or have been smoking too long.
ps. im not a smoker.
Lots of people begin when they are young cause they think its cool. Really gross..No one should ever smoke!
I started (Im only 14) when I was 13.
I smoked once.
1 and a half ciggarettes (first one was used before but my friend saved it in a mentos box to use again when her grandma wasnt home).
Why I did it?
Truthfully.
I wanted to try something new. I know its not good for me. I even crave nicotine sometimes but I ignore it.
All my friends sitting with me were smoking too.
So idk.
We just felt like doing something new.
I started college and didn't know anyone. I saw that smokers had an easy way to meet each other - they were always outside smoking, in the same areas. All you had to do was ask to borrow a lighter and you could start a conversation. So I started smoking. :/

I know - it was really, really stupid, but I had a terrible self-confidence problem.

I did make a lot of friends that way, but in the long run, it definitely wasn't worth it. :(
people used to be told to smoke for their nerves. it was positively encourage during the war, and navy personnel were given a tobacco allowance as part of their pay.

All that was a long time ago. Recently people start smoking so they can smoke a spliff, some do it to make themselves look older or 'cool' and romantic, if you've ever seen some of the films of the 1940's like some Bette Davies films you'd know
Because they want to fit in with the crowd. Pathetic. I refuse to believe anyone who says they enjoy it when they start.
No, it isnt, but one of those stupid things you try as a kid. Then it is adictive. If only we were all as sensible as you!
There are many forms of suicide. Some all at once, some are over a period of time. I think the main attraction is a "I'm taking my life into my own hands" thing. If cigarettes were actually healthy for you ...they almost disappear from society. How many people do you see in a bar eating an apple?
Because I was stupid and took forever to quit. There is no good reason to start but every good reason to quit. I think I just hung out with too many people that did smoke and started to just to do it with them. That's sad.
following the crowd and ppl think its kool but it isnt its a serious health issue my mom smokes and i cant get her to quit she says its none of my business im just trying to help her...she doesnt understand
I started because I couldn't get any hash :)
The main reason people START is peer pressure. They see all their friends doing it, and think that if they do it too, they'll be cool. Once they start, they can't quit. Some people smoke to ease their nerves. The nicotine relaxes them. Whatever the reason, quitting would be the best thing for them all.
i AM the voice of my own god,
u smoke coz u wanna smoke. i let people smoke who like to smoke.
wrap a cig and smoke it and u will get ur answer.
dont smoke though, its bad 4 u but then what aint and wot is?
do it or dont, wots the diff?
smoke and u get fined so dont do it.
i started when i finnished school i tried a cig and liked it. Now i`m trying to quit.
In my day the vast majority of the population smoked, it was the done thing, there was even an ad on TV where the doctor gave his patient a cig in the surgery "to help calm his nerves!"
I guess it was to be cool, all the major actors and actresses of the day smoked!
Beacuse your mates do it, then it grabs you and you become addicted!

It should be banned outright, its a drug!
many reasons:
peer pressure
stress
to look cool
growing up with family members smoking
to fit in
#1. They are upset or stressed about something so they are trying to relieve their stress by smoking (its good to try to talk to them and help solve their problems, make them feel better)
#2. Acting 'cool' (to impress other people like friends)
#3. Getting threatened (Like getting told that they would beat you up if you don't join in their smoking-crew, black mailing etc..)
#4. Persuation
#5. Because they are simply bored of living a boring life and want to start something new.
#6. Wanted to know what it was like smoking and how it tasted like.
#7. Copying admirers (e.g. celebrities, friends, family who smoke)
#8. They don't know that smoking kills
#9. Because they want to live a short life

But once they get addicted, they find it hard to stop and loads of people regret smoking. Stopping isn't impossible though.
Honestly, stupidity!

I started at 15, there were these "pretty" girls that were hanging around with my boyfriend at the time and they smoked. I thought maybe I would be "cooler" if I did it to and my boyfriend wouldn't leave me for one of them.
Turns out he was just friend with them and wouldn't have left me anyway, but as a teenager you think stupid things.
Peer pressure is a hard thing to deal with if your parents don't talk to you about it at that age, and mine didn't.

I am now 27 and still smoke, I just got health insurance and am hoping to get on Wellbutrin to quit. I will be talking to my child as she gets older about a lot of things my parents didn't talk to me about and hope she makes better decisions that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Why do Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net