Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why do people smoke though they know its injurious to health?


Answer:
For some, it's because life is hard and fraught with all kinds of pain and stress.

When life is a difficult place to be, people turn to all sorts of things to alleviate the stress, or at least ro provide a distraction from the stressors... some to alcohol, some to drugs, some to self-injury of one kind or another... some to workaholism.. Some people choose healthier ways to alleviate the stress -- some to jogging, walking, or biking, some to yoga.

I think the choices we make about handling stress have a lot to do with the models we had growing up... BY the same token, a lot of the stress some of us have, has a lot to do with what we were saddled with, growing up (i.e., various forms of abuse, depressed parents, absent parents, etc.).

That said, I dealt with abuse growing up. I used to be outwardly angry, until I realized I didn't want to hurt anyone else... so then I turned to self- injury. It kept my anger on myself... no one else had to hurt... though I felt suicidal, I knew that suicide would hurt my loved ones... when I was in my 30's, I took up smoking. The angrier I was (undealt with emotions) the more cigs I smoked. I figured it was like playing roulette. If I developed cancer and died, great; if not, life would go on as before.

The folks I know, who smoke, are just dealing with the stresses in life. They're playing roulette while paying the bills and doing the "responsible thing," until a better choice shows up.

If you don't understand why people smoke, though smoking is bad for their health, then thank God that your life had been so blessed... note that I did not say your life has been easy... but somewhere along the line, you learned how to deal with hardship in positive ways.
Because they need the nicotine
Unfortunately, its another addiction. And like all addictions, the way it makes a person feel seems to trump the health risks.
Because they think its cool when there young and by the time they older and have the brains to quit, they cant because the addicted.
I smoke so I don't get cancer from stress. But I suppose I will just get it from smoking. So I figure if I'm gonna die from cancer anyway I might as well do it without being pissed off or worried all the time.
becos it maeks them relacks. when pisst off tehy wont smoke so tehy can relacks. smoke maeks relacks nice
its addictive and then it becomes a daily process. its the same thing as asking . why do people overeat? stress, daily reflex.
I've never been able to figure that out myself really. I know i enjoy smoking, but i do not smoke cigarettes. I only smoke extremely high quality kreteks, and pipe tobacco. High quality tobacco is a little expensive, but has no additives or preservitives, so it's not unhealthy at all. And if you're wondering, kreteks are similar to cigarettes, but they are made of dried clove leaves, and are not unhealthy. If you wish to try them, go to your local tobacco outlet, and ask for djarum. I would reccomend beginners to try a mild type before they try the plain kreteks, as the flavor is quite strong.

P.S. I only smoke once every two weeks, sometimes less than that. It's a hobby for me, not an addiction, so please, no lectures.
It's because of the nicotine. It makes the smoker very addicted to that chemical.
its an addiction once they start they cannot stop smoking
Usually people aqre unaware of the seriousness of the consequences when they start. After that, they are addicted. I smoke. I wish I never started. Cigarettes are more addictive than Heroin. I started when I was 13, and obviously at that age I knew they were bad for me but I just figured (like everyone else) that I'll quit before I get old enough to where they could make me really sick. Obviously I didn't understand addiction, as most people who have never been addicted to anything don't understand it either. I didn't understand that maybe I won't be able to just quit whenever I feel like it. Obviously I know all the dangers, but that doesn't effect the addiction in any way. It doesn't make it any easier to quit. Especially when those dangers are 30+ years away (for most people my age). There is a new pill out though that has helped 3 people in my family quit. It attaches to nicotine receptors in your brain so that your brain thinks you are already getting nicotine, therefore you don't really crave it. I'm going to try it when I get insurance. All I can say is don't start and you'll never have to worry about being in that predicament.
To laugh at the face of Death. To choose their way. To rebel and be free today. But I do have to say it is stupid/courageous. I rather get shot to death, stabbed to death, bleed to death than lie in a hospital bed for a year having a machine breath for me as the cancer eats at you from the inside out.
Its addictive, same as drinking coffee. Some even got the chick to say life it short so live it to the fullest.
I guess it is a matter of taste.
It drains vitamins, so cigarettes should come
with a pack of vitamin C,A,E for the lungs.
I smoke to take a break/time out. A time to think without having to yammer about something. A time to shut everyone out and think something through for a change.

It's as addictive as any other drug out there, with the side benefit. Now pay attention, I'm only going to say this once.

If you ever land yerself in a fire, smoke is like a *****(not censored by me) down the throat and you will not be able to breathe as the choke/gag reflex closes one's throat. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BREATHE. I practically carried a campus cop off of a fire, because his breathing shut down during a fire. One breath of smoke and he was literally on the floor of no practical assistance or use to ANYONE. I smoke, Everybody dies of something.
Well most young people tend to pick up smoking because they think that it makes them look cool. Older people smoke because they have stress. Once they are hooked its hard to quit so most people dont.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Why do Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net